Friday, February 28, 2014

Q & A with Jamal HD




Jamal HD eight square symbol






Houston rap artist Jamal HD answers questions about upcoming project and the current hip-hop scene in his home town.



You have a new project coming out this year 14kt Arcadia. Tell us a little bit about it.

It's not an album, it's a EP. At this point since a lot of people are still finding out more about me, an album wouldn't fit well right now.  I still have a lot of content to deliver for free to those who were fans since day one to new fans I'm gaining now. That's the whole point of this project as a entertainer. So others have something to rely on as being a fan. As for the motive of the project it really is just a portrait I've been looking to paint. So many different emotions and sounds clashing around me I had no choice but to make meaning of it. This is that meaning.

 What unique concepts and inspiration did you use for this project?

I reflected on a lot of things that interested me growing up from hood classic movies to 90's pop and dance. I think I was the only one on my block jamming Daft Punk (laughing).But all those things had something in them I never seen put together ever. Those things honestly made me who I am I guess so why not show the world my interpretation.

 What do you think of the state of hip hop the last few years?

Good actually. A lot of more artists are becoming creative. That's progression on any level. Also it’s more vast now. We are starting to have sub-genres which is beautiful to me. Different sounds... different backgrounds.
 Do you see the Houston music scene changing anytime soon?

(Laughing) I don't know man. I see a couple of artists trying to push it forward. I like Propain. Doughbeezy is cool. The city has something to show. Hopefully the world will accept it with open arms instead of just a hometown thing. I'm about forward thinking. Some people outside the city I've met treat Houston as Ancient Rome damn near when it comes to talent. I still get the "you're from Houston, for real?"
when people first hear me spit. That's my fault though my production doesn't do me hometown justice.


Watch Jamal HD’s new single "Love" on Vevo
Follow Jamal HD on twitter @jamalwuzhere
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif